The shift from systems-on-chip (SoC) to manycore architectures brings new hardware and software challenges, ranging from seamless integration of processors, memories the design of modular systems and application software to run on massively parallel and scalable platforms. Manycores will benefit tremendously from 3-dimensional (3D) integration technology that enables distribution in space of computational and storage functions to achieve unprecedented performance levels.
PROD3D is an ambitious high risk / high reward project that builds upon the existing European worldclass R&D expertise of the partners involved. PRO3D will innovate in both hardware and software technologies and demonstrate the effectiveness of manycores by an integrated and concerted effort in key aspects of hardware and software design. The uniqueness of this proposal stems from the experience of the partners in various aspects of manycore design that need to be addressed concurrently.
The key outcome of PRO3D will be a holistic system design methodology to bring a drastic improvement of productivity to reduce cost development and time to market for future embedded computing. In particular, PROD3D will:
- Develop a system software flow that can operate transparently on parallel manycore platforms.
- Develop formal methods for software design guaranteeing the composability and correct operation
of both hardware and software.
- Explore the impact of 3D integration for new computing architectures.
- Extend the software flow to 3D-stacked manycores.
The PRO3D consortium brings together world-class leaders in their own field with competencies to cover software, architecture and 3D integration. One of the key differentiators of the PRO3D consortium is its access to an industrial many core System on Chip, named “Platform 2012” and provided by STM. The industrial impact of PRO3D is potentially high, since research outcomes will be directly exploitable into STmicroelectronics product roadmaps.
- D1.4 – 3D Memory Hierarchies – Modelling & Characterisation
This deliverable defines memory hierarchies developed in PRO3D project.
- D1.3 – 3D Interconnects – Modelling & Characterisation
This deliverable defines the 3D communication architecture developed in PRO3D project.
- D2.2 – Report on System-Level Dynamic Mapping & Tool Support in DOL3D
This document will detail each of the design phases in DOL3D tool-flow and introduce our advances
in performance and temperature analysis, mapping optimization, and design space exploration.
- D3.1 – Report on 3D Aware Specification of Parallel Applications
This report will provide the syntax and the semantics of the programming model, and a detailed
description of the translation tool for application software into the intermediate format.
- D6.3 Publication Report – Intermediate
This report provides a summary of PRO3D publications for the first 18 months of the project.